Timeline of the 2012 Program:
» Applications and letters of intent accepted online beginning April 15, 2012.
» Deadline: June 15, 2012, 15:59 Central Time
» September Advisory Board Meeting Review
» October/November Email Notifications
» Letters of Intent Must Be Activated in 2013.
» Letters of intent awarded in 2012 and not activated in 2013 expire January 1, 2014.
Details of the JSMF Fellowship Program
The total amount of the JSMF Fellowship is $200,000 expended over 2 years. The amount of the award should be sufficient to support the costs of the full postdoctoral salary or stipend and fringe benefits. If the institutional postdoctoral salary scales are set such that there are funds in excess of what is needed for stipend and benefits, the excess funds can be used by the institution to support the Fellow’s research. The Postdoctoral Fellow’s stipend must be paid in full from the fellowship. Institutions cannot request that other funding sources be used to cover the Fellow’s salary or stipend; JSMF Fellowship funds are not intended to be used primarily as a source of laboratory support.
It is planned that JSMF could initially support up to 10 Fellowships, possibly more, each year.
- Applicants should not currently have a Ph.D. and should not receive a Ph.D. on or before June 15, 2012.
- Ph.D. student applicants should have theoretical and/or experimental training in Complex Systems Science.
- Applicants should expect to complete coursework and dissertation sometime in 2013.
- Ph.D. students that have already identified a postdoctoral position and postdoctoral research mentor should not apply. Support for such positions is readily available through traditional funding mechanisms
- JSMF Fellowships can be only be used to support postdoctoral training at a qualified institution with 501(c)(3) status or foreign equivalent that is already on file with the foundation.
Decisions and Notification
Applications are due June 15, 2012. Review by an expert advisory panel and recommendations for funding consideration should be completed by October. Final funding decisions will be announced late October or early November after the JSMF Board of Directors meets and considers the advisory board's recommendations.